PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Riat 2003
Thread: Riat 2003
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2003, 14:49
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swingin Monkey -

Fair points - must admit that until 18 months ago I was on the Organising Ctte and was the Gala Dinner/Sunday Night Party organiser so saw little of the airshow!!! Lucky to get southside for 30mins for the weekend.

Seriously, I am sorry you were messed around. Yes, it is amazing the mass number of freebies given to volunteers, but then they are just that. Also, the air cadets were used for such great jobs as cleaning the hangar on the Monday morning AFTER the party. Thereore, sponsor funded T-shirts/hats are minimal really. (with BAe Sytems logos on them!)

I had a great thought a few years ago.......everyone planning to come to the show could stay at home, and donate a tenner and therefore not have a show. Would probably raise more cash for the fund, but no fun!!!

Also remember that as a crew you are PAID to be there and maybe are in a hotel - all the support staff are volunteers taking annual leave to sleep in a cot for 10-14 days!

My personal opinion is that it has just got too big really - a victim of it's own success you could say. The sheer scale of the event means a lot of the aircrew side has diminished and you are just another person in a flying suit.

Finally, yes other shows are almost as big, and equally well run. Maybe both Paul Byram and Paul Bowen should get together!

If you make it this year to the Party I will shout you a beer!

P.S. Yes the food in the chalet was excellent!!!
P.P.S. What type/sqn are you from?
P.P.P.S. If you like beer that much why aren't you in happy hour??