PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons to fail a type rating course
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2003, 22:35
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbonfibre made a very good attempt at listing possible failure areas for a type rating course, especially as he hasn't done one yet. Some valid comments are;

1. The type rating is split into 3 parts. Firstly the the groundschool to pass the ARB exam. This is where you learn the aircraft systems inside out to pass the exam paper. Pretty much like an ATPL subject. This can be very difficult depending on the method of instruction (or lack off) and your 'classroom' ability. When I did my it was all PC based and you sat in a room for a week or two with the headphones on and had to listen to this American drawl through literally hundreds of 'slides' for each system. I hated it. The second part, assuming you pass the technical paper is the sim course. You will be paired up with a training partner and will spend several weeks in a sim and hotel room (especially if it's your first jet type and you have low hours). Sim sessions are usually 4 hours at a time with 2hrs each PF and PNF. If you have the right attitude you will be very reclusive during these long hard weeks and will be beavering away in your hotel room and on the cardboard bomber learning all the SOP's and calls, scans and drills. Each session is another subject and preparation is everything. There is little time for going back over stuff unless you are ahead of the game (which makes it a catch 22!) and it culminates in your skills test which is reasonably straight forward (couple of approaches, precision and NP, engine out and two engine work and a few selected failures and drills). The final part, if you pass the sim is the base training where you go and do a few circuits in the real machine, have a whale of a time and leave the seat with a huge smile.

2. So, with all that in mind there is plenty of lattitude for cocking up and failing. The only point from carbonfibre that I would disagree with is point 7. That's more line training which comes after successful completion of the type rating course, remember you can't start line training (with fee paying passengers on board) until you have the type rating.

I would say the biggest reason for failing is attitude (and I don't mean being inverted!) When I did my first type rating there were six of us and two failed during the sim. They had both struggled in the classroom and were not up to the (very long) sim course. I say attitude because one spent all day and night on his laptop (probably reading Pprune!) and the other had a glorious sun tan within two weeks due to spending all his time round the pool.

Be under no illusions your first type rating is very tough. You are being pushed to reach the required standard in the minimum time deemed necessary. BUT, do remember that everyone is on your side (despite crackerjacks quip!) they want you to pass - the company are investing a small fortune in you and the trainers have professional pride. If you put the work and effort in they will do the same and unless you really are hopeless and obviously out of your depth (which shows a shortcoming in their selection process) they will do everything possible to get you through. I also think attitude sums up most of the other reasons for failing. Think about; unpunctuality, not prepared, bad CRM, lack of knowledge of SOPs and drills etc etc. With the right attitude and the dedication to hit the books every day for several hours and the discipline not to go down to the bar for the 'whole' evening with the hotshots (you know, the ones who do no work but just breeze through without breaking sweat!) you will give yourself the best possible chance of success. The right attitude will get you through.

PP