PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Descent - 36000'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2013, 23:25
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding another element to this discussion: firstly I am pleased a review is under way, I seek further opinions on this question.My QRH instructs me to descend to "10,000ft or MSA which-ever is higher." It is emphasised that crew O2 is necessary above 10,000'. (not for the expendable pax). I ask, why restrict your descent to 10,000'? If the MSA is a very common <5000' why not continue to a lower level where O2 is more abundant? Surely that's better?[LIST]I was doing the 3 year tick in the box and I descended to FL80, with TL 70 and MSA 2500'. The cabin was <10,000' so we could remove O2 masks. We were in controlled airspace above TL, so I surmised that ATC would require us to fly in 1013 for a/c separation. To fly on QNH would create a threat of RA's etc.
No! I was told this was wrong as the QRH said 10,000' of MSA 'which ever was HIGHER'; AND it must be on QNH.

Please, an ATCO, please tell me you would not welcome us flying around in your airway on QNH. Please tell me I'm not crazy and I can have my sanity back. Please tell me this is QRH PC gone mad.