PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air Runup - In Reality
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 16:21
mad2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know my reply is a little late but I haven't been on for a while.

Our company operates 2 King Airs. We do full run ups for first flight of the day and abbreviated for subsequent flights. As far as one poster put it about economy, in our company if it doesn't work and isn't an MEL item we don't go.

I was doing an interview ride with a potential new hire a while ago. He was typed in the aircraft and currently flying the type. It was obvious that he wasn't practiced with the run up procedures. He told us that the company he was with didn't want to slow the passengers down by doing them.

When asked if he did it on reposition flights he said no. This was even though he did reposition flights quite often.

The excuse of being pressed for time is pretty lame. I've always been told, if you're in a hurry you're dangerous. I would say that if you do it every day it only takes an extra 3 minutes at most. You just need to develop a flow that works for you then use the checklist as review.

While I can't say what stopped him from getting the job, I will say that it didn't help that he took the need to practice proper procedures so lightly.

I believe that it can be a slippery slope. Today you don't do the overspeed governor and rudder boost, primary governor and prop solenoid or autofeather tests. Then what's next? EFIS, Autopilot, deice anti-ice, ADC, TAWS, TCAS? Heck, why don't we just skip the pre-flight?