PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you become a pilot while doing a degree?
Old 19th Jul 2013, 19:14
HighFlyerPL185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you become a pilot while doing a degree?

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get advice off the professionals, as I'm contemplating on the best way to become a commercial airline pilot. I'm currently 17 years old, and ever since I boarded a first flight as a passenger at the age of 8, I always wanted to fly. I wanted to do well at school with GCSEs and A-Levels in order to get flying, I thought qualifications were the major requirement, hence I haven't started with any pilot studies yet. Ultimately, I'm now at a stage where I start to think more wise, or at least I think I do.

I have applied for university, and I'm waiting to start university in September. My parents always pushed me to go to university and do a degree, and I agree with it to some extent. But, I've seen some people say "Why would you need a degree if you want a career as a commercial pilot?... You're wasting your time... etc.". However, I consider this as a worthwhile option, because it almost gives you a pillow to fall back on if I fail with for example... a Class 1 Medical - not that I'll give up if I do, and I can't come to a conclusion, whether I'm mad or merely rational. Can you therefore become a pilot if you're doing a degree?

The reason why I am asking this question, is because I'd like to do both things simultaneously, and I'm not sure whether this a reasonable idea. There may be some madness in my theory, but with all the grants that the Student Loan company is giving beside the Loan itself for university, I could have a PPL for that. I feel it'd be ridiculous to go out and spend four grand on stuff you don't need.

After the degree is finished, the job itself could fund the pilot studies. You don't even feel the loan payments. Well, apparently I heard you don't. Furthermore, I come from a low-income family but I feel that with a job and careful money management, I could get where I want to be. It also brings me onto a question, is there any funding available for future pilots? I'd go the CTC Wings route for instance, but I find the security bond amount a bit of a shock.

Besides the degree and the funding, I'd like to ask about the EASA Class 1 Medical. I've seen people say "It's best to do that first, without it, commercial flying is a no-go". I have sight issues, and while corrected vision is permitted, I believe the requirement is, paraphrasing "for myopia max. -6.0". I'm just waiting to go for another eye test in a couple of days (I'm wearing glasses), because I believe my vision has gone slightly worse, and I fear it may exceed the maximum. I mean, without glasses I can't see a car registration, and text on a computer monitor appears blurred when sitting on a chair. Its a stupid question, but are there any exceptions on this rule? I could go for the LASIK treatment, but I'm scared that the side effects of this treatment might affect flying. Irony. Anyone know anything about that treatment by any chance?

Apologies if I have been rambling, but I simply need to know a bit more to sleep better, and just to get motivated a bit more. I hope you'll understand me, I don't want to come across as a teenager who's confused about his future - it's all very cliche with the current generation.