PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2013, 17:26
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM refers to Pilot Monitoring. It 'replaces' the term PNF (Pilot Not Flying) as it better encapsulates the role of the 'non handling' pilot. In other words, even the non handling pilot should be actively monitoring. PNF may imply that because you're not flying, you can put your feet up and relax.

To be honest, it makes bugger all difference what it's called and ultimately comes down to the individual pilot on the day, not some fancy term that's fashionable for a few years until the next legally acceptable title comes along. It's not just an Emirates term.

By the way Miller, I may have been a scout in my younger days, but never a Brownie! My beef was that trainers in your previous Company, no doubt from a generation before glass cockpits, had taught you the dangers of V/S but not the advantages. As a result of which, you 'never' used it although you did retract that statement later. That was the point of my post, balancing reliability of modern automation against healthy suspicion and resilience.

I didn't doubt for one minute that a man of your vast experience, calibre and knowledge would be guilty of anything other than supreme airmanship, whatever aircraft you flew!

Last edited by BYMONEK; 17th Jul 2013 at 17:37.