PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2013, 12:58
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No!

That's why i hate the FLCH mode below 6000agl.

It lacks the wake-up mode and, anyway, in below 15-10k you are prone to inversions which make this mode give you some high rod's.
Add to that requested fast speed reductions, configuration changes, then the rate is a good guess at most, mainly unmonitored by most modern aviators, and top that with a rather sluggish spin-up (if the correct alt is set) and you have what leads to the many ASRs stating "short line-up by ATC" or "unexpected shortcut" leading to a GA. At least these blokes went around, but they most probably stuffed-up the approach by not dominating the rod.

That's why I do not use FLCH below 6000agl. V/S does just fine, i control my rod and i even 'assist' the spin-up with my hands. Not only for comfort reasons, but to stay in the loop, to train my subconscious to control speed even with the AT on. I like that symbiosis, that's what i was lacking on the Bus. There it was either 'him' or 'me', (unless A-prot sets in).

The whole bs started during training when some TREs called V/S = very seldom and religiously preached FLCH. Or VNAV even in holdings or when extending centreline on vectors.
Now they have to mend fences with another FCI when their products stuff up!

(Brace for that revolutionary FCI telling us to use V/S when intercepting .... )

Last edited by glofish; 16th Jul 2013 at 13:06.