PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who Wants to join CATHAY!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2003, 21:29
Col. Walter E. Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" I, ME, MINE"

At the end of the day, pilots are their own worst enemy.

Always in the self interest, never in the interest of the 'fraternity'. A shameful situation.

Pilots already employed accepting upgrades - new starters wanting to start when their are disputes going on

It is unfair to expect new hires to accept the burden in order to gain better conditions for a company they are about to join, whilst pilots in the company, fully aware of the situation and basis of the dispute, continue accepting upgrades. How hypocritical!!

Pilots are always the first to complain that management is trying to take the mickey out of them.

Management of airlines the world over know what a bunch of self centred, self-loving ba$tards pilots are, and how willing they are to step on another pilots head and scratch out each others' eyes (in a roundabout and sneaky way) to get that job or be in a position to 'feed the young ones'. Feeding the young ones is a noble cause, but hey, you wanna a medal? The rest of us have to do the same, but thanks to these cop-outs, we have less to feed them with, and less time to be there to do the feeding.

The news is, until pilots are a unified group, wages and conditions WILL be eroded.

New starters and 'upgradees' (especially) deserve the full ire of union members, for weakening the pilot position. They are willing to accept all the benefits and conditions hard fought and won by union members, but refuse to carry any of the burden and sacrifice.

Now back to basics:

If all the pilots acted as a unified group then management would have to deal honestly with them. The risk to the company would be too great to not to. If they acted honestly, so should the union. There is a great inter-dependency that goes on in business and industrial relations, that is often lost in the worker vs employer (who is acting in the interest of the shareholders) battle.

There has to be some kind of comprimise between old/new members and the health of the company. Compromise is something that has been forgotten in this world of my profits/my conditions/my struggle.

That is: No company - no jobs. No employees - no company. No good employees (incl management) - no profits. No profits - No shareholders. No sharholders - no company etc etc and around it goes.

The goal should be to work together for the benefit of all - what benefits us, should benefit others, cause at the end of the day, we all need each other.

There endeth the sermon................................................what was that you just said, Willard??

Last edited by Col. Walter E. Kurtz; 4th Mar 2003 at 21:57.