PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Riat 2003
Thread: Riat 2003
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2003, 19:30
SpotterFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering this for a couple of months now. Firstly 'what airplanes'? Even if we're not flying them somewhere hot, it's not like '91, when the RAF was double the size it is now and we had a lot fewer other commitments, so we could afford to give people and equipment the time off after GW1 and still do RIAT. Mind you some unusual stuff from China might be good, and the Russians haven't been for years.

Secondly 'what base'? If Fairford is not a goer, you can bet it will be a brave Stn Cdr that agrees to let this particular bandwagon onto his Stn when the UK will not be top of certain people's Christmas card lists.

Thirdly, last year there was an enormous contingent of personnel for security - where are they going to come from this time? I can't see the security issues getting smaller.

Don't get me wrong - I've worked there and had enormous fun for over 7 years and have every intention of going back this year if it happens - remember the war is not inevitable, Uncle Tony said so. I'm just being pragmatic.

Divergent Phugoid - any answer?