PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2013, 04:32
Kamelchaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting to assess what ramifications this accident may have for EK.

I recall a quote from the "Flying High" movie.... "I picked a great day to give up sniffing glue"

We're in the middle of some serious cost cutting in training, and indeed throughout the whole airline.

CRM is being taken away from the hands of FOs and Captains who have very good qualifications in the subject. We have 80+ (?) nationalities in the flight deck..along with all the different mind sets that come with that. Is this a good time to hand off CRM to ground instructors who may or may not have any experience in the subject?

We have a lot of cadets coming through..many of whom are very capable when everything is working well, but I've seen it myself on many an occasion; when a situation occurs that is outside their extremely limited experience paradigm, 250-700 hours of total time doesn't cut it on a wide bodied jet, and their hands and feet skills simply let them down.

We're trying to squeeze more and more arrivals into an already over congested airport. ATC are studying reduced separation approaches, with some sort of offset approach onto 30R using visual separation. I suspect extremely high workload stuff.

We do very few visual approaches.....most of the ones I see are poorly executed.

Training has worked hard over past few years to pre-empt these issues. But the elephant (or in our case the CRM gorilla wandering thru the basketball game) is still there. It is indeed a particularly bad time to give up the glue sniffing.