PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 15:43
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrt:
And in training, they are shifting the corporate culture's paradigm when it comes to hand flying. 10000 feet is the hard deck when it comes to automation. Common sense dictates the appropriate level of automation needed, depending of the situation. No one, or nothing prevents us from hand flying, should we desire to do so.
Well that's good to hear, albeit that it seems somewhat at odds with the reality of 'sims for manual handling' and / or what 'Trader' said: "
Another reason to have the UAE cadets spend 5 years at flydubai--get the hands and feet moving actually FLYING an airplane.
Fwiw, the only 'deck' in flydubai, wrt hand flying (be that with or without flight directors), is the requirement for autopilots to be used when within RVSM airspace.

aside - I was flying with one of our young Emirate' F/O's only the other day and can admit to being highly impressed when he asked me if I minded if he continue without the use of any automation or FD guidance (this when at FL250) and to which I consented, and he then delivered a perfectly flown (including a number of level-offs) descent and visual approach, in what was modestly challenging conditions too,... and don't even think the lad has even 1000 hrs total time. It was a true delight to watch him having a go at it - and well done young man!

I can also attest that vast majority of my (your EK) Emirate colleagues are a delight to fly with, are very capable, and will be missed when they leave flydubai.

$0.02