PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 01:02
fliion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEC policy check - Another interesting knock on effect is the 'actuarial' factor.

We were told a number of years ago in wash-up that one of the factors behind DECs was that the Actuaries were concerned with the overall flight hour number of the upgrading FOs.

One of the first things the insurance industry does in the aftermath of an incident such as this is to have a mass scramble and reassess the algorithms. If you have seen the'CNN video that shows the approach and subsequent crash - you can see that the corkscrew at the end got very close to a flip....in which case...game over.

So now AIG, Zurich Re, Lloyd's will make a polite call to Dubai with the following question:

Actuary:
"You guys don't have guys in the LHS with 43 hours on type do you? I mean obviously in their previous gig they flew heavies from the left?"

Dubai:
"Actually Mr actuary, we have guys in the LHS that have less than 43 who didn't fly anything bigger than a 737 before we put them there...But it's all good, we saved money on training"

Actuary:
"Ah thats great thanks and just to clear things up, one more pertinent question...you guys don't run 11 hour flights with less than four pilots right?"

Dubai
"Huh? next question"

Actuary
"Okeedokee , lemme call you guys back in five"

5mins later.

Actuary:
"Yo..it's me again...I guess the good news for my insurance co. Is that at least you don't have these, whadya call em DECs, jumping into the LHS of the 380. I mean all the guys who upgrade are high on Airbus 380 time right?"

Dubai:
"Hmm, not excactly...but we save money in training by putting the 777 guys on the 380"

Watch this space...we've been saying it for years... Bypassing seniority and experience is a big wise invitation to Karma to come a knocking.....disgraceful.

Got spin?..,work it habibi

f.

Last edited by fliion; 9th Jul 2013 at 01:21.