PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rise! Unemployed pilots in India
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:09
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that yet another whining excuse Apache? (I don't call you "Captain" because you are not one). Too hard? Can't be bothered even trying? And to think the many hundreds if not thousands of fresh CPL & IR holders managed to make it happen in places like Africa and PNG, build their hours, gain unforgettable and priceless hours to gain experience and credentials.... Yes, Oz and NZ will be much more difficult.

Sweeping floors? Washing aircraft? Maybe even submitting your own flight plan! Refueling your own plane! Yeah, I know.... It's beneath you. You've probably had house servants all your life so the mere thought is below your caste and repulsive in the extreme. Some pilots are willing to do that if it can lead to a job flying to climb the ladder. Many of those "some" are the (real) Captains of widebody jets for airlines such as United, BA, Virgin, Lufthansa, Qantas, Air NZ. Some make it happen, others sit back and whine from the cheapseats that it's someone else's fault.

Young Raman here seemed to get a visa to work in Nth America for an opportunity to go for it, and was willing to do what it took - and got a visa obviously! (Ice Pilots NWT)

Alouette: Yes, I do 100% know, not just believe, that the great many who whine about it being too difficult and unfair and it's always someone else's fault (blah, blah, blah) do not even try nor perhaps have ever submitted a CV to fly a C210 in a place like Africa. It's A320, 73NG as a minimum. Oh, and it must be in Mother India, and it must be with an autopilot, it must be air conditioned, and close to home.... I didn't speak Indian yet took a job I was offered. Language is just yet another woeful excuse I'm sorry. How many expats speak Pigeon yet seemed to be able to work flying into and out of the villages in PNG? And all the while I thought English was a compulsory ICAO requirement in aviation? So no Alouette, I'm not joking.

The airlines created the problem? So what will you say if (when) you get a malfunction on board your aircraft? The mechanics created the problem? The birds? The weather? Throw your hands in the air? Blame them and do nothing about it because it's their fault? Or do whatever it takes to make it happen despite the obstacles?

Can an Indian CPL holder (assuming he takes the trouble to pass all the requirements for a European license) with no German/Norwegian/French etc skills actually even stand a chance there???
When will the excuses stop? But this is the funniest of all. The expats in India had to take the DGCA conversion exams to fly there, as does every expat going to any country in order to fly there. I've met many, many expat contract pilots who've held several ATPL's depending on the country they were contracted to work it. Each time they had to sit and pass exams to convert their license. If your aviation knowledge is so awful then you have no right to pass. And when the hell did the forces of lift, weight, drag & thrust do different things in different countries? Since when did power and attitude vary if you go to "Germany, Norway or France"? How do those thousands of pilots flying from all over the globe into those countries every day manage? The world did not turn upside down, Isaac Newton's Laws do not enter the twilight zone between different countries?! So, if you have a CPL & IR ready to be hired then you have been deemed to standard to exercise the privileges and limitations of that license.

Icing, high terrain, monsoonal weather, incessant heat, freezing cold, high traffic areas, low traffic areas? All factors present in India where your DGCA CPL comes from. So do why the hell do you need different "skills" to fly elsewhere? Experience - YES! So go out and get it! Use the CPL and IR you have!

Alouette, I agree with you that the industry in India is disgusting, corrupt and putrid in it's day to day dealings, especially in the way it treats its next generation of pilots. I've said this many times before on this forum. So, do something about it. Get out. The DGCA should be there to ensure you are trained and maintained to the right standard. It should protect Indian jobs for Indian pilots. It does none of this. Is it going to change tomorrow, next week, month, year or even 5 years? No, because of all the reasons it's so bad. So stop using it as a crutch and take your "passion" and "determination" to where it can be used and forward your career.

So again, rise (!!!), get out and make it happen. With the right attitude, determination, humility and work ethic you can still make it happen. It might not be in India - and that could be a blessing in disguise. Worse case, you gain another 500-1500 hrs in your log book, gain amazing experience and stand head and shoulders above the next guy when presenting yourself for an interview back in India. That is unless the present methods to become an airline pilot have worked? But I don't think so.

For the record, I never call any wannabe "the unwashed". I was one once. And I know what it took to get the career my "passion" and "determination" dictated. That is why I and others here cannot accept these continual "it's too hard" and the blame game. I can't think of one person who was successful at anything who let excuses and barriers get in the way of their success.

Last edited by TopTup; 8th Jul 2013 at 13:23.