PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salaries...
Thread: Salaries...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 06:08
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many insecure peeps in corporate aviation, with so many hiring kids, old timers that are past it, ect.
Maybe true, maybe just the usual drivel of a once to often turned down person...? As a 'chief pilot' of a very small flight department (the other guy and me) and the former chief pilot of a twice as big workforce I say this:

I wonīt hire ANYONE who I think I wonīt get along easily. I sometimes spent more time with my colleague than with my wife, if Iīd sit next to an idiot (no matter how good an aviator he is) that time is felt twofold or triplefold. So yes, I donīt judge on experience alone.

Cutting down CVs/times? Friend of mine did that cause he had too much time and knowledge for an airline F/O job he wanted. Made 3500hrs go away and a CP position, then they allowed him in. Nowadays he captains a very big Boeing product for a well respected airline. The airline he started with is a 100% subsidary of a very big European airline with a huge HR department. No insecure corperate peeps there - apparently....or are there some too?

Another friend of mine did fly for a company and wanted some leave (2 weeks), brought in a replacement freelance pilot. Coming back he found his termination on his desk. What the guy did to convince the owner to make them quit the other pilot I never learnt, but felt some sort of satisfaction when the traitor crash landed the airplane somewhat later because he did not secure the fuel caps and didnīt handle the short traffic circuit ensueing right. Sometimes there is justice....

During my career I have seen so many things like that (I have been the target of such behaviour myself, was lucky that my employer beliefed me and not the crook that went on to tell lies of epic proportion bout me...), that this IS a concern when employing a person I donīt know.
Luckily I donīt need to recruit someone for the time being. Its always a gamble.

Bottom line: if you think a CP has to be a person that neglects facts, personal experience and experiences of others plus has to go for the most expensive guy he could find, then you probably have it the wrong way round.

BTW, my colleague was a CP briefly himself. He hated the position. I like it - sort of - so there is no issue.

Last edited by His dudeness; 8th Jul 2013 at 15:01.