PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rise! Unemployed pilots in India
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 01:27
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TopTup,
On this one occasion,I have to agree with Apache.Do you think all the young,great unwashed and unemployed pilots would NOT give anything to go elsewhere and fly?? Jobs in Western Europe? You must be joking, right?
Can an Indian CPL holder (assuming he takes the trouble to pass all the requirements for a European license) with no German/Norwegian/French etc skills actually even stand a chance there???Besides, every country will expect some sort of Visa (work or immigrant) for you to even get a chance.Hell,I would love to go work in Brazil where jobs are a plenty but, you know what, I don't speak Portugese.
The problem today was created by the airlines themselves.They expanded at a pace that would make anybody blink,let alone an airline business manager.Ran out of crews; pulled pushed, and stepped on everything and everyone within reach just to staff their planes.Expats (such as you) were hired by the hundreds, CPL holders indiscriminately hired as F/Os and quickly upgraded (without checking the bona fides of their qualifications,or their skills) and the word spread.There was gold in the skies of India! Come one,come all! jobs are going a begging! Kids coaxed and cajoled and arm twisted their naiive parents into forking out large sums of money for licenses from here, there and everywhere.
Then the bubble burst.
The Gold Rush ended and young lives were changed for ever.
If I were an airline executive for a day,I would stop buying airplanes willy nilly.The fuel costs alone in India would make this business a doubtful prospect.I would hire exclusively from the Indian Air Force,Navy ,Coast Guard or other Para Military forces.That way I would have a steady supply of trained (at least in the basic art of flying-----which seems to be in short supply these days) pilots readyto go to work and keep the balloon afloat.I would then sit back and watch the airline flourish and not flounder.
The blame can be shared all around; airlines ,government, entitled kids with shiny CPLs and of course,the Indian culture and society
Like everything else in this world, there is no one silver bullet to fix this problem and until then, sorry to say, the 7000+ are SOL.
Alt3.