PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana 777 crash at KSFO
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:11
millerscourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without speculating as to the cause of this accident those of us who were brought up on types like B707 and B737-200 had a good scan which we never lost even when we went on to the likes of Airbus A340 or B777.

Those of us operating for UK Charter outfits doing visuals came second nature into places like Iraklion, Kos, Corfu at night and places like Samos, Mikonos, Funchal etc during the day

We had to hand fly those approaches with no Autothrust. The only time I used Autothrust on a manual approach was into Kai Tak on B767 whilst in the turn onto R/W 13.

I noticed when in SQ that F/O's would never do a visual into say Bali when I suggested it in to R/W 27 to save time even with all the gizmos of extended C/L and with an ILS as a back up and as for taking out the autothrust they would never do that even though radar send you downwind on the F/O's side so runway in sight all the time.

The modern breed of computer nerds entering the flight deck is a cause for concern and the worrying lack of airmanship is all too evident.