PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you encourage your child to join the military?
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 09:31
smartman

A late input I'm afraid.

I'd agree with those who'd neither encourage or discourage. Mine followed me around for twenty years or so; one had a brief taste of it, left early, and now regrets it. Theirs, like mine, was a personal choice, and there were many pointers to enable them to decide.

I don't subscribe to the Beagle view that 'it's not like wot it was in my time' (apologies if I've misinterpreted). I well remember in my early JP years, sitting on barstools in messes various, being bored witless having to listen to the wrinklies drone on about their 'good times'. I then became a wrinkly and probably dished out my own equally boring versions of the good times! Life goes on - and from Trenchard's times to those of today's RAF, a lot has changed (obviously), but I also suspect that some things - both good and bad - haven't. And it's a probability that those 'some things' represent the real core of the RAF.

After 27 years in the FJ environment, I left - simply to have a bash at something else before I expired - and saw many other sides of life in UK and overseas business, and in other air forces. I can assure all those who talk of brown-nosing, secondary duties, suffering youthful pain-in-the-bum bosses etc etc, that life outside offers a basketful of the same. And to those who talk of not being able to climb the greasy pole on the inside but then beat their chests over having made it on the outside - sorry you didn't/couldn't make the grade.

For me, I'd do it all again - changes and all. That would be my only 'encouragement'.