PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - avherald: Pilots fired for letting pax take pilot seat
Old 4th Jul 2013, 15:46
bugged on the right

Received 180 Likes on 69 Posts
I've just retired so can not be held to account by my employer. I have seen flying degenerate to being an awful experience. We always had passengers on the flight deck and on some occasions my company sold jumpseats. It was an important recruiting tool and provided an insight by the public into what we do.

Then, after the outrage in 2001 we lost our courage and instead of slapping down the element responsible we started to intimidate old ladies, take toy soldiers from little boys and generally criminalise all airline passengers. Equally guilty in the name of political correctness.
I only got the big flight deck door in my last few years. This monstrousity certainly makes a statement. Not only to the pax. I always believed that in the event of a serious ground incident that this door would contribute to my demise.

As crew I have never felt so mistrusted, some of the experiences (all in the UK) at the war on terror were just unbelievable. Not all in front of pax either.
I felt less safe during the latter years and believe that a large part of the whole thing is theatre and will not fly on holiday unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately my children are beyond rail.
I wonder what motivates people to become pilots these days. There isn't even the flying.