PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasonable Career expectations..
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 08:07
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
America has never really been an option, Green Card issues and too many of their own out of work in recent years.
Asia and the Middle East are recruiting. It's easier if you have Command time, that has always been the case. LCC's are taking low-time pilots.
I met a young Indian pilot in Singapore two years ago. His Dad was a taxi driver who took me to work several times and introduced me in the hope of helping his son get a leg up. He had just completed a 'jam factory' course in New Zealand and had only a bare Licence. In the last year he has studied hard, converted it to a Singapore Licence and just got a go with Tiger Asia. All he needs now is a couple of years of Jet time and he'll be away. They have no GA up there, so they have an added disadvantage.
Korean and various Chinese Airlines are recruiting now. Again, things are quiet at the moment, SQ has dumped all it's expats and the 'Doom and Gloom' merchants are having a field day. It will come back, be ready and give it a go.
Coming home to Australia, for me, has been a huge disappointment, so much bull-**** from CASA, GA is dead, ATC is a joke and the whole country is full of tattooed Bogans (and that's just the women).

Last edited by By George; 3rd Jul 2013 at 08:08.