PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 09:47
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a tragedy!....Heartbreaking news.

It's not just the 19 (who were typically young and in the prime of life) who suffered an unimaginable nightmare at Yarnell Hill - but the after effect wounds countless people. I can't imagine the grief the loved ones are suffering right now. Words can't help them I suppose, only time will dull the pain...

I've spent many years on fires and the devotion to duty typically shown by most firefighters, the 'can do' attitude and all round 'esprit de corps' is always a great thing to be a part of. Never more so than in the US where the scale/magnitude is often at the higher end of demand on the fire crews.

I was at South Canyon CO, and this news brings it all back!
Years pass and we tend to forget those who gave everything. I am guilty of this selective memory most of the time but this truly tragic event brings it all back into focus.

I'm on fires in Europe now and our fires here are typically small in comparison. But wherever there's a fire there's a danger.
As Gordy said. 'Keep your head on a swivel' and let's all remember the next tragedy is out there somewhere waiting for us to make that one mistake. You know?...

The big One!

Rest In Peace Yarnell Hill Crew...

Last edited by 170'; 2nd Jul 2013 at 09:50.