PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasonable Career expectations..
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 02:23
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Reasonable Career expectations..

Hi guys,

Would be interested in any and all opinions that you may have.

Have finished my CPL, and will have the last ATPL subject and MECIR done shortly. Will have 300 hrs at that stage, however my next birthday will be my 40th.

So- almost to the next stage of getting that first job (we don't have kids and have the House paid off- so I can be flexible and mobile in regards to looking for work). Will be setting course for the north west- Kimberley region to get the first job.

I want to fly for a living because I love flying- that is purely my motivation for doing this. I currently work in Flight Operations/ Dispatch for a major Australian Airline and am only too aware that even flying Jets becomes just a job for most people after the "honeymoon" period ends. I'm not getting in to it for the perceived money or glamour because, let's face it, getting up at 3.30am after 4 days isn't. And given my current position in Flight Ops, I'm only too aware of the fact that Management will continue to try to find new ways to drive down overall T's & C's (unless the supply v's demand equation drastically changes).

So I'd be curious to know, based on where I'm at now and my circumstances- what can I realistically aspire to in the years ahead? I'd like to think that I have enough years left in me to have the earnings potential to enjoy a half decent quality of life and plan for eventual retirement.

Would:
- Flying Twins in GA,
- Regional Turboprop FO,
- Regional Turboprop Captain,
- Low Cost Jet FO, Or;
- Low Cost Jet Captain
Be what I could realistically try to plan for in the years ahead?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,
Gearup.

Last edited by Gearupandorrf; 3rd Jul 2013 at 10:51.