PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rise! Unemployed pilots in India
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2013, 09:18
pilotbaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@captjns

Sir, you also hit the nail with your points, just like always....
But again, it's like preaching to the choir.....

@Geebz

This is a great profession, a good career. But it often takes at least 10+ years to realize that. A lot of so-called paying your dues in the meantime.
That's like Christians leaving their fate up to God.
You hit the nail in the head as well sir. I wanted to quote your entire post.

I take it up a notch by adding that if you are thirsty, what do you do??
Do you look up to the sky & pray to God that it rains??
Or do you go find water??

But it is useless preaching to these kids who want to have instant success & they would rather sit & wait for years for their instant succes & a shot to reach the 737 or 320 rather than working hard to achieve & realize their dreams....

I have tried to suggest similar things as you have suggested but no one really wants to listen.. I will repeat my advise again & hopefully someone will pick up a que & make the changes for better.....

So what qualifies me to give any advise to any of these kids...

My first pilot's medical was in 1990 & my DGCA file # is from 1990. Most of these kids were either not born or were still using diapers when I started flying & later became an Instructor in India.... I was born in a middle class family in India & also have been fortunate to live in the land of liberty & oppertunity for almost 14 years & my exposure to the free world has helped me a lot.. I have spent almost 23 spings watching the cycles of this highly volatile avaition industry unfold in India.

So I can say I have learnt a thing or 2 about Indian aviation in my life...

There are 2 types of people who will achieve success in aviation in India,
1) 1st type with Daddy's endless supply of money & top notch connections;
2) 2nd type will achieve with one's hardwork & dedication...

I will not bother about the first type, but if any of you fall in the 2nd catagory, you better listen......

The only way to beat the 1st catagory of candidates is with your hard work, dedication & excellence in the profession.

Having an ATPL with 1500 Total Flight hours or even half way through it with ATP ground exams passed is a good target & will help you shine above the rest of the crowd....

I can bet that most of you guys who have got their CPL in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011 have not flown since then.

Can you expect to fly an ILS to mininums, Can you do a chandelle, Lazy 8 or a power off 180, after not flying for years..??? Is there anyone who says yes?? GET REAL..... I bet most can't even intercept a radial by now.

But, I am not here to bash anyone, I am here to suggest as to what to do...

What is the solution??

Becoming a flight Instructor is almost always a very good option, even if you DO NOT expect to get a paid job right away, you still have a qualification & it will help you to keep current & proficient in your skills & will definitely open doors later down the road....

Go to USA or Canada, NZ or any country where you trained as a pilot or can get a visa just to become a Flight Instructor.. If you can not get a visa anywhere, just enroll in a Flight Instructor couse in India.

This is your passion & profession... You are in love with airplanes, aren't you??? If yes, then the followng advice is for you......

In the US, there is a term called RAMP RAT.

Even back in our times in India, we used to do the same thing, just hang out in the flying clubs even if we have nothing to do & just network. Just Be around the planes & aviation.....

Just by enrolling in the Flight Instructor course, gives you a reason to hang out in the flying club, where the flying is happening and an oppertunity to network.....

Teach students basic ground school, teach them basic Instrument knowledge, Hold classes every day, teach DGCA PPL & CPL exam prep. Teach free, every day & it will keep your knowledge fresh.

Help to wash & refuel the plane, push it around in the hot summer days, work as an apprentice in the maintenance dept, clean the spark plugs, change the oil & work on the plane & learn about the plane that you fly.......

Display your positive attitude & eventually, You will get noticed & things will start happening. May be, you will be sent as a safety pilot with senior PPL holders. Can't Log it in India but still you are in the air, where you really want to be..... That could lead to a part time instructor position or a full time..... And that is just one of the possibillities........

Get creative & DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO to be around planes & flying & try to build flight time...

I can guarantee you that sucess will come one day....

23 years of life experience tells me, Success will come one day but ONLY to those who work for it...

Again, the kids with entitlement mentality will NOT understand this, they belong in these forums, to do the moaning & whining & ... & ...

Last edited by pilotbaba; 30th Jun 2013 at 09:34.