PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEST ANGLE vs BEST RATE of climb
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2013, 10:44
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Jaba,

Yes, we certainly do have a difference of opinion on many topics, but please don't think I'm specifically targeting every post you present. If I was there would be a great many more posts to my name. On the contrary, I do find your passion and research commendable and belive you to be one of the more knowledgeable types on this site, but the fact remains, we have only been flying for just over 100 years and no-one yet knows ho to do it perfectly.

Just so you don't think this post is a sunshine blast;
While I may present a differing opinion, I will always have a reason to support my view; in this case maximising height gain for the initial climb as being the "safest" option. Not convinced "optimal" engine parameters will be deviated from by this course of action, but just covering the worst case rebuttal with the damage comment. Didn't say that you said anything about damaging an engine, but you have a pretty broad definition of "greater safety margin" in there.

I asked why wouldn't you use Vy as the safest option? I would like to know which GA type flown by a "young real world pilot" is going to use Vy+35Kts as the "safest" way to climb.

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 29th Jun 2013 at 10:45.