PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEST ANGLE vs BEST RATE of climb
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 22:28
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MIHC

You probably have multiple times my flying experience and thus argue most things I post here it seems, but my comment above was based on things taught to me in detail by Chimbu Chuckles and John Deakin, JD who sat at my kitchen table recently over breakfast explained it again, for the umteenth time. I have read and talked to him about these kind of things several times before, but I learn something new every time.

The fact that in practise, what they have taught me works, suggests that in their collective 60'000 hours of flying more things in more places than I care to think about, not doing the same thing 60,000 times, suggests to me I should pay attention.

I am not going to even try writing it all down here, but it has been written by both of them over the years, so all I ask is do a search. Or just simply ignore this post, as I can't do it justice, or not without spending several hours.

If you can't react fast enough to get the nose down by the time the airspeed drops to Vs, then I would suggest you need to get an instructor to spring a few more EFATO's at you and start using a pre-take off safety briefing.
I would agree 100%, but you missed the point, or never had it. Besides from Best rate to Vs is a long time, but best glide is what you are searching for, and what is the most effective way to get there.

After your first 1000' AGL you can reduce attitude to a cruise climb and I can guarantee you won't be damaging your engine.
Did I say engine damage? I said to 5000 with optimal engine parameters. Read and use in context would ya.

I think Fokker gets this. The POH is a book written with a description of the entire envelope (hopefully) and LIMITATIONS and scattered with some examples. There are infinite variations along the way inbetween that may be better for daily use or for special use. You the pilot need to use critical thinking to determine what is most suitable for the task.

Last edited by Jabawocky; 28th Jun 2013 at 22:49. Reason: typo's