PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEST ANGLE vs BEST RATE of climb
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 14:09
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
My cheeky response, which is of far more use to the young real world pilots, not those doing an assignment or theory exam.

The one who gets to 5000' with optimal engine parameters, and had greater safety margin in the early part of the take off is the pilot who used best rate plus 10-35 knots (depending on type).
So why wouldn't using best rate to gain the most height initially (which would also give you the greatest choice as to where to go in the event of an engine failure after take-off) be of any use to a "young real world" pilot?
Why does the manufacturer bother telling you what best rate is if you aren't supposed to use it?

If you can't react fast enough to get the nose down by the time the airspeed drops to Vs, then I would suggest you need to get an instructor to spring a few more EFATO's at you and start using a pre-take off safety briefing.

eg.
If the engine fails while airborne I will lower the nose to maintain control...
After your first 1000' AGL you can reduce attitude to a cruise climb and I can guarantee you won't be damaging your engine.

Wait until you do formation flying... then for formation takeoffs you do Vwa(worst aircraft) less a fudge factor so they can remain in formation. First time you do derated takeoffs your brain is going "nooooooooooooooooooooooo".
Otherwise known as flying to the lowest common denominator.

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 28th Jun 2013 at 14:12.