PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway overrun in thessaloniki
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 09:02
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I second Airbrake's post above.

Also above Ranamin wrote:
Pilots afraid to fly because of infringing SOP's or being hung out to dry by the QAR monitoring team are counter-productive yet theyre(sic) hailed as pro-safety.
Which demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what the system is for and is actually complete tosh. I can only speak for my own airline who I believe pioneered the system when I say that no pilot fears infringing SOPs because of the system nor is anyone ever 'hung out to dry by the monitoring team' not least because the only person able to identify and contact a pilot of a flight which was flagged by the system is the BALPA rep!

As an aid to flight safety it has proved invaluable in identifying trends long before they cause an incident. Each month each fleet pilot representative publishes a synopsis of the more notable events for that fleet. If rushed approaches or deep landings feature emphasis will be made on the importance of both stable approaches and landing in the right place. It creates an awareness deigned to avoid just such situations as we saw at Thessonaliki.