PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rise! Unemployed pilots in India
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2013, 21:01
gambol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ billboard

what do you want from the airlines that they should recruit all the 6000 pilots at once???? its not just the aviation industry, but the educated unemployment has affected other fields too. The unemployment rate of India is 9.9 %,and I don't think so that aviation field has contributed alone to this number. Every year India adds to her population afresh. More than this every year about 5 million people become eligible for securing jobs.

There is a high rate of unemployment in Aviation industry because companies and jobs are less.There is a greater mismatch between supply and demand in this industry as compare to the other fields.even if you cut down the number of CPL holders from 6000 to 1500, many people would still remain unemployed.

when a vast multitude of people left for US,Canada Australia etc to get their CPL in 2006-2007 then there were not 6000 pilots sitting unemployed back at home, people who were getting back with CPL did not have to compete with 6000 competitors for a job, probably then they did not make a bad decision by getting into flying. but,now in 2013, if anyone wish to get a CPL,probably then he's on a career suicide path. consequences will be much worse.

The last time Air India came up with a vacancy for non-TR guys was in April 2009. Jet came up with one in Aug 2010. They came up with a vacancy again in Feb 2011. The Feb 2011 recruitment exercise has STILL not been completed. Indigo has not recruited anyone in more than a year and same is perhaps() the case with Spicejet. Infact Indigo has a surplus of pilots.
Above quoted data are for the non-type rated vacancies. Apart from these,I guess IndiGo, Spice jet, Jet Airways and Air India did come with vacancies/openings for the TR candidates in 2011 and 2012. Even Go Air conducted exams for the type rated ones in august 2011. IndiGo conducted exams every month for more than a year from May 2010 to August 2011.
So,under these vacancies they recruited more and more unemployed pilots. Jet recruited TR guys twice or thrice in 2012. Spice were in hiring spree too.
We are in the middle of the 2013, and this is the third vacancy (jet airways 2013) of this year. (IndiGo in March 2013 and Jet in march 2013).
We may see another one or two in the coming 6 months. no one knows. Being optimistic,I hope vacancies will keep coming. one has to be patient, study, work hard and be ready for the opportunity. Those who deserve will get recruited eventually.

I request that people do not come to these threads and spread any more disinformation about "things getting better" unless they can justify their claim with the statistics that they claim to have access to, but refuse to share.
So, if the above statistics which I presented about the vacancies and recruitment by different airlines are true then please tell me how did I spread misinformation when I said conditions have gone better in the last 4 years.

If that was the case then CPL holders would not be leaving in hordes to get Type-ratings WITHOUT a job guarantee. It is the desperation resulting from years of mass unemployment that leads people to do that.
You are wrong, people are leaving for the type rating because they know airlines are creating more and more openings for the type rated people and they are preferring type rated pilots over the CPL lots. They know if they will get the rating then their prospect of getting into an airline will become much bright over the Non-typerated ones. (bright only for aspirants with aptitude and brains).

So 12 aircraft a year. They'll need not more than 60-70 FOs. In the first five months of this year alone 242 CPLs were issued and there are already 6000+ unemployed CPL holders in the market. At this rate, by the time those 60-70 people get hired, another 600 odd CPL holders will be added to the 6000 figure. So for every 1 that Jet hires, 10 will be added to the unemployed pile.This is IF Jet expands its fleet at all. We have heard expansion plans before. Most of them in the past have gone awry. Again, somebody tell me that i am wrong.
You forgot other airlines. Other airlines will hire and employ pilots too. Jet Airways expansion plan is on and that is the reason why we have the recent vacancy for the CPL holders.
You have to be more optimistic. I beg to differ with your opinion.

Last edited by gambol; 25th Jun 2013 at 22:02.