PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do I do???
Thread: What do I do???
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2003, 15:27
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I voted for your first option, ie "Leave your job and get a student loan for $60 000", but with the following proviso.

From what you've posted, I believe that you really want to fly. You want it more than you've ever wanted anything before. If this isn't the case then you better record me as voting for item 3! You MUST be prepared to walk barefooted over broken glass for your vocation - it's THAT sort of dedication that's needed.

The industry has a way of weeding out those who don't have that much dedication.

And now for my own story, in case it helps...

I held down a pretty well paying 9-5 job in the public service. It got to the stage where I absolutely hated it. By that stage, I'd used my income to gain something that, in those days, was called a Restricted PPL and then an Unrestricted PPL, then a Class 4 Instrument Rating (Night VMC). Yeah, it really WAS a while ago.

Anyway, so I stayed employed and kept using my income to pay my way thru a CPL. It took quite a while and I ended up getting older, of course, and therefore ended up without the option of working for an airline. After about 1000 hours of joy flights and charter, I did an instructor rating and got my first instructing job at the school where I trained - it belonged to the late, great George Campbell, at Mudgee.

That led to many things in what has become a long, if somewhat indistinguished, career. But I don't regret a minute of it.

The thing is, in your circumstance, you'll be better served by getting out and doing it. And the only way to do it properly is to do it all without the hindrance of a job. So, go get the loan, leave your job and get stuck into the CPL and ATPL theory. Get it all done.

Take the advice offered by No. 15, and others, in choosing a school.

If your emotions rebel at the thought of leaving the comfort and security of your current job, then a full time aviation career will NEVER be for you. Never. In that event, your choice is between options 2 and 3 and, as you clearly want to fly, maybe you need to settle for option 2.

If this sounds like I'm "having a bit each way", then so be it. The fact is that it's impossible to know how you really feel. I suspect that, because you've posted the question and the poll, you may be unsure of your own level of commitment and dedication to the "hard yards" that we've all had to go thru. Think again about the concept of walking barefoot over broken glass because it WILL be a lot like that.