PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAL on Deathwatch
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2003, 03:03
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Most pilot groups at the US majors will likely end up giving up at least 15-20% of their salaries, never mind the very risky retirement pension mess, but Continental CEO Gordune Bethune reportedly used words to the effect that labor really is not the main problem (or 'the' problem), but I never read the quote.

One question is just how many "unplanned" furloughs (+ or -300 pilots etc) will take place if they don't get everything they expect at negotiations. These employees can be considered hostages at the bargaining table, but if my company never asked us to go up to 90 monthly credit hours in the 'good old days', then why are they suddenly claiming that this is one of the necessary changes-in order to lay off even more employees?

Just two more questions-has JETBLUE made many/any aircraft lease or purchase payments before this winter? If not, was Wall Street aware of this last summer and fall? Many pilots have the impression that a lack of payments is how this start-up airline was able to begin service with brand-new 140 (+) seat jets. Of course somebody will say, "oh, they actually have (i.e.) 130 seats-get your facts straight".

Last edited by Ignition Override; 1st Mar 2003 at 05:24.