PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger course
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 15:43
Pilot DAR

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
W8 has offered a good post, though there is more beyond that. What [he] says is appropriate for most types of tailwheel aircraft, but not all.

My Thruston Teal taildragger must be wheel landed to get the most consistent good landings. I learned this by happenstance, after many frustrating attempts to three point it. It is a type for which training is virtually non available. Doing wheel landings also greatly reduces loads imposed on the tail wheel assembly, which can be damaging on the Teal. Touch that little wheel at 65 MPH in a three point, possibly with a bounce, and associated loading, or hold it off to less than 40 MPH, and ease it on. It's an easy choice, if you're paying of the maintenance!

When I was trained in the turbine DC-3 (by a pro), I was taught to never three point it. I was once about to allow it to do that, and it was an instant go around. But, I do concede that a DC-3 is outside the normal realm of GA taildraggers. When I used to fly the Tiger Moth, I was taught to avoid three points landings, simply 'cause it had a wooden skid, rather than a tailwheel - no point dragging it down the runway for no good reason. The SM1019 I flew for a while, on the other hand, seemed difficult to wheel land, and with that big prop, I was reluctant to try.

For these reasons, training, which is type appropriate, is a good idea....