PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you encourage your child to join the military?
Old 28th Feb 2003, 18:34
ajsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Biggus, I must take issue with the 50,000 Warsaw Pack against the 8000 NATO Tanks. I served as a Troop Commander in FRG and can assure you that NATO would have been lucky to field half that amount on a very very good day….

Anyway the THREAT propaganda aside, neither of my children have ever expressed an interest in any of the services. Had they expressed any interest I would have actively encouraged them. All posters have correctly identified that the services we joined are very much different from those of today. I mean my own cavalry Regiment was amalgamated in 1969 (before my time) and again in 1994 (after my time) during Options for Change. Nevertheless, the core principles of self-discipline, teamwork and the development of the individual all remain. Promotions and advancement may be a little harder than they were but other standards – as in accommodation, food and equipment – have increased if only marginally.

I do not for one moment regret my time in the Services and if I have the opportunity would almost certainly do it all over again. However, I do agree with many posters that “if your face fits” and “a little brown nosing” (a skill I failed to acquire) always do some good…..even if it only boosts the ego of the recipient