PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyjet pilots to strike??
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2003, 13:22
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the light of all that has been 'debated' over the past few weeks, I draw your attention to one thread. This is relevant to the union v non-union voices, and the yes/no debate.

There is a thread in Airlines & Routes titled "easyjet shares". Go to the post from Touch & Go. Click on the link to Telegraph and find the link to easyjet's intended purchase of DBA.

You will find that it is up in the air because the local union refused to accept the terms that would have been imposed by RW. They would not allow their lives to be so effected & controlled.

Now, some may say, Bravo; others Luddites. DBA are losing money and may close down without a rescue. However, there were enough of those to draw a line and stand by it; upto now. Better to take your chances in the open market than be subjected to conditons that you find unacceptable; so they thought.

Who knows what the outcome will be. Perhaps ej will write off the money already spent (substantial) and walk away, or will enter fair and equal negotiations. If not ej, then perhaps someone else will come along. If RW was prepared to spend so much money on keeping the option, he must believe there are other payers in the market. At least the guys seem to have a principle and stand by it, and take the risks.

Note, also, the tactics at boardroom level during the many reported takeovers. It is never the first offer that is accepted. The buyer has to sweat a little and pay the right price. There is respect for both sides. professional negotiations! I wonder if anyone at New Road was aware of the goings on during the ej Go takeover negotiations? Can it be true that ej just marched in and imposed their first offer. I suspect that B.C. squeezed the last drop out of ej.

Oh well, as J.B. said "you live to die another day"

Good luck..