PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM Training - A question about its operational limitations
Old 9th Jun 2013, 23:13
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Another point is that the experience based "naturalistic" model of problem solving seems more suited to time critical tasks and to the stressed cockpit, to give a workable solution while CRM processes "management by committee" can be bought to bear later on if more perfection is required.
I think that paragraph shows a common mis understanding of what CRM is.
I agree that time critical situations require a naturalistic decision making process, but I also think that CRM can play a role in good naturalistic decisions.
For example, what leads to good decisions? Good information. It doesn't matter if the decision is time critical or if you are calling your fourth meeting with the board to discuss the issue, good information is what you need to analyse to make a good decision.if you agree with that then let's look at two crews who have to make a time critical decision. One crew has been chatting about golf and the kids and not actively gathering information to maintain their SA. The other crew has been discussing the weather patterns, seeking enroute airport updates, monitoring traffic relative to them and their aircrafts fuel state and engine parameters etc etc etc. ie actively maintaining and building their SA. If those two crews are are faced with a time critical situation they will both call upon the information they have at that moment in time to make their decisions. The second crew has much more relevant and up to date information to work with. In the post match debrief on lookers will probably talk about intuition and experience but a lot of it will just be ' good information'. Why did they have that good information to make their time critical naturalistic decision? Because they had the discipline to build and maintain their SA, ie they exercised good CRM.
That's my take on it.
Framer