PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you encourage your child to join the military?
Old 27th Feb 2003, 10:28
Boy_From_Brazil

Location: No longer a hot and sandy place....but back to the UK for an indefinite period
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son is a RAF pilot, a career he wanted from a very early age. Even if I had wanted to have discouraged him (which I didn't), I believe it would have made absolutely no difference, he had incredible determination. If a child can be discouraged from joining the Services, then the chances are that it wouldn't be the right career choice in the first place.

The end result is that my son is very happy with his life, even though like any other occupation you have to put up with the occasional BS from your bosses. The pressures of living away from home are just as bad in the 'outside world'.

Most careers are not as good as they used to be, this is not limited to just the military. However military aviation still rates as one of the most exciting jobs in the world. It also offers up incredible opportunities when you decide to leave.