PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Qatar Wings
Thread: CTC Qatar Wings
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2013, 03:14
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just be very very careful with this one guys, I cannot stress this point enough

Qatar is a brutal airline that will drop you for the smallest -up, misdemeanour or indiscretion whether on duty or off duty.

That doesn't even include flying related stuff necessarily. Get caught messing around with a cabin crew, you're out. Captain makes a hard landing or continues unstable approach below minima, you're both out, whether you called go round or not. Do your walk-round without wearing your uniform blazer or hat - get reported by one of the "spy" cabin crew, you're out. CEO looks out his office window and sees you walking up the street from the carpark with your shirt untucked or not wearing your hat, you're out. Miss a duty because you weren't notified of a roster change - the rostering guy lies to save his ass and says he called you when he didn't - you're out. Get sick on leave and you're out, no matter how many medical certificates you can produce. Go for a picnic in the park during the hours of daylight in Ramadan and get arrested by the local cops (yes it happens and yes you can still get in even if you're not muslim) - you're out. The policy is always to sack first and investigate later, and there is absolutely no appeal process.

That is why they're always hiring new F/O's even though the pay is good, and that is why the contract world is full of ex QR people.

I wasn't sacked and I completed my bonded period before I quit, but it was the worst 3 years of my entire life. The country is a boring, dreadful, and bloody expensive third world hole. It's NOT Dubai-expat-party-town so get that idea out of your heads, it's completely land locked and surrounded by Saudi Arabia and it's a lot closer to Saudi than Dubai culturally. For those of you with families, the schools are appalling quality and stupendously expensive and there's nothing for your wife to do except hang out in malls and spend your money that you're trying to save to pay off that £105000 you just borrowed. The spending doesn't stop there, you NEED a half decent apartment or house because you will spend all your life in it, you can't go outdoors because it's too hot. You actually need a large car or 4WD because it's safer, when the local hits you in his Landcruiser at 200 km/h you don't want to be in a Micra. If and when that happens, it will always be YOUR fault on the police report and you will have to pay for his repairs. Etc etc.

I could continue indefinitely but no point really, just be aware that there are a million ways things can go wrong in that place without it even being your fault. £105000 is a HELL of a lot of money to put at risk for it, could you really look at yourself in the mirror if it went bad, and you had guaranteed that money against your parent's house for example?