PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition to Allow Listening to ATC in the UK
Old 5th Jun 2013, 14:03
GeorgEGNT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always found ATC communications wonderfully exciting. It's one of the reasons I decided to pursue a career flying so I can definitely relate to the attraction. Its very interesting to watch aircraft move around on the ground and take off/land whilst listening to ATC/FC communications.

During my PPL it was useful at first to hear comms on a scanner but I only really use a scanner to listen to ATIS before climbing into the aircraft now. I get my RT 'kicks' whilst flying now.

Can't say I'd be overly keen on my RT being broadcast on the internet if I was a professional though.
I have been annoyed at viewing galleries and the likes on several occasions where spotters have laughed along with various conversations on the radio as if they were in the flight decks themselves when in fact they're simply eavesdropping on a conversation. Something they wouldn't do in the supermarket or in the pub.

Already mentioned on the thread but the 7700 excitement culture is quite worrying too. One of the major 'flight tracking' apps even sends a push notification to your phone when an aircraft squawks 7700.

Last edited by GeorgEGNT; 5th Jun 2013 at 14:09.