PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Subsidised Competition
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2003, 17:47
Tokoloshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition

The more aircraft in one area, the smaller one's share of the pie inevitably becomes. It does seem a bit unfair with all the talk in that article re. the subsidised equipment and training. This all the more relevant especially with the recent tussle between Balmoral and AA over the contracts in AFG/PAKI.
The article imho also seems to make out as if they are some sort of pioneers flying in that area under those conditions. Lots of past colleagues will attest that in the pre "Bossman & Spartan" days things were not so rosy. The airstrip at Bamyan was half the length it is now. I wonder if a real-life engine failure out of there would be anything like the FSI deal?? (Those that have been there will know......)
In their defence though, I must admit that when they first started with a C210 flying amongst those rocks, I would not have put folding money on their chances.
At the end of the day I think that the subsidies only end up hurting the pilots that fly for the opposition as the first thing that gets chopped is their salaries in the long run.....

just my two cents worth....