PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military to Civilian hours conversion.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 05:59
BEagle

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
UAS/EFT flying.
Yes, when working with the industry / CAA Aerobatic Rating Working Group, that was one credit I managed to secure for the military, although we could only give automatic credit based on EFT, not UAS flying. That's another unfortunate corollary of the dumbing-down of UAS flying training. We couldn't include Army training either, having been told that this does not include aerobatic flight training.

The actual wording for Aerobatic Rating credits may be found in CAP 804 Part I Section 4 part P pp32-33, which includes:

(c) Pilots who have completed aerobatic training with the United Kingdom military forces (other than the British Army) shall submit evidence
of having completed satisfactorily, either:
(i)) the UK RAF Elementary Flying Training course; or
(ii)) the UK RN Elementary Flying Training course; or
(iii)) a UK military Basic Fast Jet Flying Training course;
Originally 22Gp weren't prepared to vouch for EFT courses, until it was pointed out to them that flight instruction for the Aerobatic Rating includes not just aerobatics, but also 'confidence manoeuvres' such as max rate turns, advanced stalling and spinning - then they agreed. But it just went to show that trying to get 22Gp to support credit for its own people was like pulling teeth at times....

Another recent credit I've persuaded them to accept was for the FRTOL ('R/T licence') practical test, which they seemed to have forgotten about in the original Part O. The new credit is in CAP 804 Part I Section 6 part A p3:

Military Pilots qualified as an EFTG, SERP or QMP in Section 4, Part O shall be credited the RTF Practical Test.
Don't forget that more generous credit for military training, skills and experience reamains available for the NPPL. So, until Apr 2015, the easiest way to an EASA licence is to obtain an NPPL(SSEA), then convert it to a Part-FCL LAPL(A) as described in CAP 804 Part I Section 4 part P pp11-12. Once you're 'in' the EASA system, conversion to higher level licences is exactly the same as it is for any other EASA pilot licence holder.

Last edited by BEagle; 4th Jun 2013 at 06:03.