PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging Hours
Thread: Logging Hours
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 16:30
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logging Hours

On Friday I did a quick flight before it got dark.

HOBBS showed 0.6, the Tach showed 0.4 and the wheels off/wheels on was 16 minutes - I am in the habit of logging HOBBS hours (mine is activated by oil pressure), there have been small differences between this and time in the air but not significant - this is the first time that I've had such a difference snd it got me thinking; what should I be relying on for my recording.

I fly a US registered airplane on an FAA PPL - I do not intend to seek any other licences/rating where there are minimum time requirement, so never thought much about it - but my insurance is due for renewal and there are bands of hours (more hours flown lower premium) I have just moved up a band based on my log book, but if I was to have logged WO/WO I would have fewer hours - bothers me that in the case of a claim that a sharp loss adjuster could deny that claim.

So is there a generally accepted norm? My understanding is that I log when I am "manipulating the controls" as part of a flight - start and taxi being part of that activity - so I wouldn't log just moving the airplane or taxying to the pumps to refuel.

Last edited by Ebbie 2003; 2nd Jun 2013 at 16:31.