PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode 'S' & 8.33kHz
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 21:58
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KX155

The KX155 may be an old bit of kit but it is robust and reliable, that is why it is still the standard radio in most UK training aircraft and therefore a slot in replacement that requires no changes in the rack will make a slide in replacement an instant sucsess.

Just remember the Garmin 430 only fitted into the same space in the rack that a KX170 occupied and that I'd now the fleet standard for touring aircraft.

Slide in replacements are all about the size of the market, across my fleet of three aircraft for rental I will need four radios, the question is are Bendix King interested enough to ramp up KX165 production and drop the price to make worthwhile to replace all the KX155's with KX165A's or is Trig going to steal the market from under them ? Looking at the way Bendix/King have lost the GA plot over the past fifteen years or so my money is likely to be going to Trig despite me being more that happy with the service I have had from my Bendix / King equipment over the years.

The other problem is that most single KX155 insatations require an audio amp in the radio, that the KX165A has not got so perhaps Bendix king need to look at producing a KX155B with 8.33 & audio amp and getting one of there European dealers to write an EASA approves Mod for the instalation changes on any aircraft............ It is only if they do this that they will retain any foothold in the GA avionincs market.

Last edited by A and C; 2nd Jun 2013 at 08:01.