PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 09:48
Filler Dent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ 1979Engineer
You know who you are...

I wrote this back in 2006 about a certain director leaving.
Not much has changed has it?

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/2...ml#post2758321

Engineering has become a byword for expense and poor performance since he became Director. Too much control has been given to the accountants that have cut the wrong costs, management whose sole intention is to bully and intimidate the workforce and a total disregard for the professional recognition of Licensed Engineers within the organisation.

The recent proposal for the "Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor" is a prime example of management who either do not care and think they are beyond the realms of the usual processes of negotiating - probably both.

As many people here will probably be familiar with the AAIB reports regarding missing bits of airplanes and the recommendations there in, one of the main shortfalls highlighted was the lack of supervision about the aircraft under maintenance. Combined with the recent events at Glasgow, where a manager "lent" his approval stamp to an unqualified Technician, there is now a sudden urgency to introduce this supervisory grade, especially since BA had told the AAIB last autumn that it had acted on these recommendations.

Firstly, BA just tells its existing LAEs (Licensed Aircraft Engineers) of which there is around 500, "we want you to all be Supervisors, and here is your new powers". Rightly so, the question was asked "where's the money?" for the new responsibilities. There is none - so the proposal stalls in a tirade of negative feedback.

It goes quiet for a few weeks when management comes up with the next proposal. This time the Supervisor grade is now deemed to be management itself. All LAEs can apply for it and anyone else who meets the criteria. Very good, BUT there is a huge sting in the tail and issues which compromise the integrity and independence of the Certifying Engineer.

The LAEs which neither wish to become management or fail in their application will have an immediate pay cut of £3000. That’s going to do wonders for morale and productivity then - especially over the summer schedule.

Most worrying of all however is the conditions of TMG (Management Grade) in relation to Certifying Engineers and the pressures which surely will be put upon them, since a proportion of their salary(bonuses and pay rises) will be performance related. Forgive me, BUT can you see a conflict of interests here? I’m sure the AAIB will be impressed by this after the next incident report.

I've seen many young, good licensed engineers, leave BA as a direct result of the companies disdain for this group of individuals. These are exactly the people BA should be retaining for the future. I fear however it isn't going to get much better, but Big Mac leaving can only be good news.