PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Nomad really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 03:46
Givelda

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you seen the in-flight NASA flutter tests of a Twin Comanche on Youtube?
I spoke last week to the NASA test pilot who flew the flutter tests before he went onto bigger things.

He told me that they incrementally increased the speed to 195 kts when the tailplane started to dance. Vne was 178 kts I believe. Should have asked him how he managed to get it up to 195 but my mouth was wide open by then.
(Also should have asked if he managed to find a way to land it smoothly - I never did, even using the "flap" theory, but that's another thread I guess.

In case it all went wrong, he of course had a chute, but he doubted he could have got out the door although by then he would have not needed to worry about the tailplane being there to whack him on the way down!!!

Anyway, back to this thread and earlier posts # 136 and 223, here is our American G-22 at Pima last week. Now missing the radome. Funny how it is parked in between some really heavy machines and not in the light aircraft section in the middle of the park. Seemed to be in fairly good condition after all of these years.