PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the UK with FAA licence
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2013, 09:30
alland2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Mary, Yes I received night flying training during my basic FAA training.
I do fly at night in Florida (on nice nights) and of course it is helped by the many airports that have auto runway lighting available at the click of a button, I also have the help of ATC at the class Delta & Charlie airports I frequent. I would not be planning on any night flying here in the UK.

I am semi retired and spend quite a lot of time at my Florida home (4 times a year for stays of 5/6 weeks) so that's where most of my flying takes place.

My wish to fly in the UK is just to get out once in a while to help me stay sharp with local or medium x/c trips, and only on good flying days, I don't need to be anywhere in a rush, so it would never get to making a "go or no go" decision situation.
I would not mind investing a little more money into any additional training I would need to be compliant and safe in UK airspace, but if it came down to the requirement of a full 40 odd hour course, then I would probably not bother and just keep to my US flying, and maybe find another suitably qualified UK pilot to sit along side with occasionally.

During my next Florida trip in July I am doing my IFR training, but it is purely to assist me in case I should unintentionally get into a unplanned Instrument weather situation. I would never launch into IFR from choice.

Thanks for all the contributions on this thread, it makes for some interesting reading.