PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job scene for A320 rated F/O's
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 11:24
DeltaT

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe the only MPL training that has taken place in Australia has been for overseas carriers such as China Eastern and Xiamen airlines. So I think its very unlikely any operators this way have actually ever employed someone with an MPL.
Also consider that ANZ first point of entry on the jets is SO 767/777, no direct A320 available.

AUZ: Amendments to the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) and the Civil Aviation Orders (CAO) were completed in December 2008. The most significant changes include:
New Division 19 in Part 5 of CAR - Multi-crew pilot (aeroplane) licence
New CAO 40.1.8 - requirements for MP(A)L training courses.

Regardless of what you did, an MPL is not the same as a 'normal' ATPL, and you must meet those hours requirements for a proper ATPL just as you would in UK. It doesn't mean you have to get one of course, but MPLs really were envisaged for airline in-house trained cadets that more or less had a job lined up before they started. Thanks to FlyBe and whomever else over there is having certain issues right now, a number are having to be cut loose.

The NZCAA documentation for recognition of overseas licences make no mention of the MPL, so should CASA issue you a MPL I can't see you getting a NZ one under TTRMA or otherwise. You can always try it on, and I am sure NZCAA will quote a large sum of money to go through their processes and rewrite the regs for you seeing as you are the first one to ask for this. (being serious!)
I suggest you call some of the A320 operators in Auz if they will even employ someone with an MPL. O, and make that an actual Pilot you talk to, not the HR people who won't have a clue.

Last edited by DeltaT; 25th May 2013 at 11:37.