PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash Caernarfon
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 10:42
Back at NH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience, 'professional' pilots not uncommonly regard the private pilot as a not very competent dabbler with minimal training whose skills are always going to be suspect.
Why? Lets's have a look.

.... It's not a short, rough strip with obstacles on the approach, it's a nice long tarmac runway with an unobstructed approach to the displaced threshold.
Then why the displaced threshold? Quote from the AIP - "Runway 26 landing threshold displaced by 89m to allow 1:20 approach over trees and HT cable."

Never flown in there but based on what i can see on google earth it looks like a fine airfield
There are better briefing mediums

.....I used to ignore the displaced threshold at Enstone, knowing why they painted it in the first place, to lure pilots from London Airport (Oxford) !!! into doing some training at Enstone. Being familiar with the local scenery, there were no hazards on approach to merit a displaced threshold.
So hazards on approach are the only reason for a displaced threshold?

Doing my IMC has proved invaluable, only last week fresh in the saddle again did I find malfunctioning instruments in mostly crap weather. All worked out well because im confident.
I'd fly with you if that read "All worked out well because im(sic) competent"

In this case, from the pictures and comment, it seems to hardly need detailed investigation, .

It looks like a stall/spin accident caused by low speed back of drag curve with maybe a does of shear ito the equation.

A 3° approach wouldn't put you anywhere near those caravans or trees...
Trees are about 210m from the displaced threshold, assume another 100m for landing in from the threshold, so over trees at 310m from touchdown. 3 degree approach is 320ft/nm, nm =1852m.

So 54ft above threshold elevation over the trees, how high are the trees?

Oh and for those querying the sun causing visibility problems. 2 mins searching show it happened at 1030UTC, on an approach to RW26 in May, the sun is not an issue.

Last edited by Back at NH; 25th May 2013 at 10:54.