PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 24th May 2013, 22:30
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Quick rehash!"

Rehashing old ground (thread pages 75-81) I know but it is still very relevant!

slats11:
I wonder if the crash (November 18) actually triggered the FAA visit (November 30 - December 4), or whether this was just a coincidence. Regardless, imagine how delighted CASA would have been! CASA was conducting an audit into PelAir (an audit which was unavoidably critical of CASA as it was confirming previously identified problems were still present) at the same time the FAA was auditing CASA. The CASA special audit must have been a real hand grenade when it was finished. What to do with this in 2010? What to do with this while the FAA pondered its assessment of CASA.
Also remember S11 that there was also a Senate Inquiry in play at the time that FF and to a lesser extent the bureau successfully obfuscated, and in the end was white-washed by the Great White Elephant paper. But your point on the ICAO/FAA audit is still very much in play, here is the official AQON to QON 126 from the last Senate Estimates (12/02/2013):
Question no.: 126
Program: n/a
Division/Agency: (CASA) Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Topic: Status of the 2009 Federal Aviation Administration Audit
Proof Hansard Page/s: 77 (12/02/13)
Senator FAWCETT asked:

Senator FAWCETT: I would like to refer you back to the FAA audit that was conducted a couple of years ago. My understanding is that there were a number of deficiencies found during that. Can you give us a status report of rectifications of those?

Mr J McCormick: We can take most of that on notice, if you like. What I can give you now is that the majority issue was around the fact that we did not have sufficient training, in their mind, for our inspectorate. We had already set in place a training school which is now up and running and, in particular, their concerns were over the inspectors who oversaw what is called FAR 129 foreign operators operating RPT, regular public transport, into the US. It was around the amount of training that people had done, where most of the training in the past of say six or seven years ago revolved a lot around on-the-job training and then people had their basic training either that way or through a course to start with was perhaps not as extensive as it should have been. Since then we have rectified that completely.

Senator FAWCETT: I am happy for you to take those on notice.

Answer:
CASA was advised by the FAA in late 2010 that, as CASA had rectified all identified deficiencies, all of these matters are considered resolved.
Yes the AQONs are finally out, see ‘here’. Note: Only took them > 4 months to come up with such an extremely self serving and arrogant answer.

On that answer??… While scaling Mt Non-compliance*, I would suggest, there was quite a bit of evidence to the contrary??

So what Biccy said… “Senate Estimates will be interesting….” , it will be extremely interesting to see if Senator Fawcett will be accepting of that answer??

On the question of the government statement… “full government support”… I’d suggest that that is just a throw away line and officially unofficial. If you check ‘here’ you will see that ‘officially’ there has been no such statement forthcoming from the Minister’s office.

Doin a Kelpie!

*back at posts 1536, 1566 #1573 1590)))