PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 21st Apr 2013, 08:47
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“We have never been non-compliant with ICAO!”

Creamy:
If that is the report to which Mr McCormick was referring when he said the major issue was that CASA did not have sufficient training in place for the inspectorate, I wonder whether he’s actually read all 98 pages.
If we refer to one or two media releases in relation to the FAA audit we will see that the DAS, if nothing else, is consistent and remains on message.

First (my bold):
CASA Media Release - Friday 27 November 2009
Australia’s air safety systems to be reviewed
The United States Federal Aviation Administration has accepted an invitation to conduct a review of Australia’s air safety systems.

Staff from the Federal Aviation Administration will visit Australia to conduct the review in the week starting 30 November 2009.

They will look at aspects of Australia’s aviation safety regulation and safety oversight framework.

The visit is part of the United States’ routine international audit program of all nations whose airlines fly into US airspace.

The review will look at Australia’s compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization standards and recommended practices.

The Director of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, John McCormick, said the US audit is welcome.

“Australian aviation has a proud safety record with one of the most rigorous regulatory frameworks in the world,” Mr McCormick said.

“I am pleased the US Federal Aviation Administration has accepted CASA’s invitation to visit Australia during 2009.”
And second:
CASA Media Release - Friday 16 April 2010
Australia retains FAA Category One rating

An audit of Australia's air safety system by the United States Federal Aviation Administration has been completed.
The outcome of the audit is that Australia maintains its US category one rating.
The Federal Aviation Administration was invited by Australia last year to conduct the audit of aviation safety regulation and oversight.
Australia's overall system of aviation safety oversight was found to meet applicable international standards.
CASA's Director of Aviation Safety, John McCormick, said the result of the Federal Aviation Administration audit was a positive endorsement for Australian aviation safety.
"Australia can continue to be very proud of our aviation safety record and the effort we make to maintain that record," Mr McCormick said.
"The audit recognised there had been a past under investment in technical training for CASA staff and supported CASA's current initiatives to provide even more comprehensive technical training.
"A lot of work has been done over the last 12 months investing in technical training and this will continue."
So Creamy according to the DAS the jobs done! And those 98 pages of NCN’s are all addressed….
To continue on with the previous quoted Hansard from Feb 12 we see that the DAS gets quite defensive when the Senator mentions ‘non-compliance’ and ‘ICAO’ in the same sentence:
Senator FAWCETT: I am happy for you to take those on notice. Are you aware of any areas where CASA is non-compliant with ICAO obligations, either inadvertently and you are seeking to rectify it or with your knowledge that that is the position that you think it is more appropriate?

Mr J McCormick: We have never been non-compliant with ICAO. Again, the area where they would not consider us or we would like to have seen ourselves higher in the marking where the score is out of 10, was in the area of training in particular. Most of the other points—and again, we can give you more detail on notice if you wish to ask—are in areas such as primary legislation. We scored nine out of 10. In most areas we scored nine out of 10 or seven out of 10. The training is what brought us down, but that has been a focus since I have been in this position. As I said, we have an established training school in Brisbane. We have restacked the building into training areas. It has saved us money as well, because we do not have to hire outside venues, and we have put all our inspectors, now, through a very comprehensive training course.
No the ICAO/FAA audit QON 129 by Senator Fawcett is a potential showstopper, it will be interesting to see how FF spin or obfuscate the answer..to be sure..to be sure!

Last edited by Sarcs; 21st Apr 2013 at 08:51. Reason: The ICAO elephant just stepped into the room