PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash Caernarfon
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:04
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it is absolutely wonderful the explanations and excuses that pilots provide the AAIB and the airmiss folks. I have seen with my own little eyes, plus about six or seven other experienced observers, somebody making an abosolute bollocks of an approach, one ended up writing off his Archer by landing in poor viz, downwind, and stuffing it into our hedge. He blamed the prang on not receiving any information on conditions on the radio - which is NEVER MANNNED! As he kept his aircraft on our site and his wife was waiting for him in his car, he was certainly aware that there was NO RADIO SERVICE OF ANY KIND. And yet these excuses were included in the report.

Another occasion a helicopter lifted right up out of somebody's garden into the approach path of an early solo glider, which had no radio. Many gliders have no radio. We see and avoid. He explaned likewise that as he had called and received no answer, he assumed there was no active flying.... he had talked to somebody the day before who answered the clubhouse phone, and that, he assumed, gave him carte blanch....could have been the cleaning lad answering the phone, we certainly were unaware of any impending traffic.

The airmiss investigation report gave credit to the helicopter pilot's account of the incident. I suppose he expected the glider on approach to give way!