PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - avherald: Pilots fired for letting pax take pilot seat
Old 21st May 2013, 07:36
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somehow this incident reminds me of the one not long ago where an Air Traffic Controller's child was issuing clearances on a mayor airport. While everything was "under control" and everybody took etra precautions, it was in violation of the rules. Let's keep in mind that most of these rules have been made precisely because a situation apparently "under control" can turn into something which isn't in a moment and you don't want to increase the chances.

Long past are now the days when pilots (and to lesser extent atcos) ruled the air. Now both of us must follow a somewhat rigid set of rules leaving personal initiative on the shelf for those rare ocassions where it is direly needed. Even though this initiative may nowadays be rather untrained you will agree with me that flying is safer than in the 70s and not only due to improvements on the planes.

And before somebody mentions the magenta line, neither this case nor the one of the controlling child had anything to do with it. In any case I wouldn't have fired the pilots here but give them a final warning. First offence and such...