PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2013, 19:42
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates will never fly direct flights to Bangkok from one London's airports, Norwegian will do that.
I never said they would, I said they would react badly if DY entered the market. Let's give the Gatwick base a year and see how much money they're making before we start playing fantasy timetables eh? They still have no brand recognition on long haul and if they did enter LGW-JFK, what's the betting we'd see a spoiler response from BA?

The only people that this timetable would attract would be the super-price conscious, now I'm not saying there's not a market but entering LON-NYC, one of the most competitive markets on Earth AND aiming for the bargain basement is barmy. Branson himself said Virgin would have died in it's early years without Upper Class, premium travellers and getting into Heathrow. The only difference is DY are using *very* cheap non EU crew and brand new aircraft to chase the cheapest seats? No one has ever managed to do this, particularly not branded as "Norwegian Air Shuttle". Zero brand recognition, no premium service, no lounge access on one of the most premium centric routes on Earth. That's partly how BA killed Pan Am btw, they let PA fill their aircraft with Y travellers while BA poached all the high yield travellers. DY are going to need deep pockets and very cheap labour costs if they try this.

Do they have travel agent deals with the majors to block book seats in their plans?

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 20th May 2013 at 19:44.